A good criminal drug lawyer can minimize the consequences of a drug crime arrest by fighting police misconduct, defending you at trial, or getting your case diverted from the criminal process. Drug charges are complex. You need the best criminal defense attorney for drug charges on your side.
Drug charges fall into two categories
Felony drug charges
- Transporting drugs illegally
- Manufacturing drugs
- Selling drugs
- Possession of drugs with the intent to sell them
Misdemeanor drug charges
- Personal use of drugs
- Possession of drugs for personal use
We understand the complex drug possession and trafficking laws in California.
We have offices in Roseville and Auburn, California.
When defending a drug case, the first thing a drug defense attorney should analyze is how the police discovered the drugs. Depending on how they were discovered, your case might get dismissed. Here are two scenarios that might allow for dismissal:
- If the police violated your Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures, the charges should be dismissed.
- If drugs were found during a search pursuant to a warrant, this can be problematic and gives our experienced drug crime lawyers ammunition to get your charges reduced or dismissed.
At the Cohen Defense Group, our drug crime attorneys know the complex laws that protect your constitutional rights and we routinely fight the introduction of evidence illegally collected by the police.
If you need help, look no further than your local drug defense lawyers at the Cohen Defense Group, which is the largest criminal defense firm in Placer County, California. We serve clients from Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, Newcastle, Penryn, Loomis, Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City, Yuba City, Sacramento, and more.
What You Can Expect from Us
When you hire the Cohen Defense Group you get access to:
- A team of drug defense attorneys with decades of experience defending cases involving drug possession, trafficking, sales, manufacturing and use.
- Two State Bar-Certified Criminal Law Specialists with in-depth training that keeps our drug attorneys one step ahead of the prosecution and ready to defend your rights.
- The resources to fully investigate your case through fingerprint analysis, witness interviews, consultation with narcotics experts, and more.
- Drug charge lawyers who regularly litigate complicated cases in pre-trial motions, at jury trial, through post-conviction proceedings, and on appeal.
Whatever you are facing, we can handle it.
Frequently Asked Questions About Drug Crimes
What qualifies as a drug charge?
It is illegal to use or possess a controlled substance without a prescription. Here are some examples of substances that you may be charged with using or possessing:
You cannot sell, give away, or transport a controlled substance. You cannot possess a controlled substance with the intent to sell it.
If you are charged with a drug crime, you need the best drug defense attorney on your side.
Our experienced drug lawyers will fight every step of the way to save you from having a conviction.
I was charged for possession. Will a drug possession lawyer be able to keep me out of jail?
California drug law is constantly changing. Our experienced drug crime defense attorneys are up-to-date on the penalties for possession, as well as the alternatives to jail available for each client. Our drug possession attorneys will determine whether they can:
Divert you from the criminal justice system so that you can avoid a conviction
Help you avoid jail time
Get you into Drug Court if you want treatment
Convince the court that your time in a residential drug treatment program should keep you out of jail
I was charged for trafficking. How can a drug trafficking lawyer help me?
A good drug trafficking lawyer has multiple tools at their disposal and should attack the case from several angles:
Fighting police misconduct with pre-trial motions to suppress evidence can result in a dismissal of the case.
Using experts in fingerprint analysis and narcotics identification may provide a complete defense.
Our experienced drug lawyers also gather mitigating evidence that can be used to get the judge on your side.
Trafficking charges are serious and complex. You need an experienced drug defense attorney fighting for you.
How much does a lawyer cost for drug charges?
The Cohen Defense Group believes that everyone deserves rigorous defense at a reasonable price.
Drug defense attorney costs can vary based on the complexity of your case. We typically charge a flat fee for our services so that you know exactly how much you will spend, regardless of the number of court appearances required to bring your case to a satisfactory resolution.
Schedule a free consultation to find out exactly what it will cost to have the best lawyer for drug charges on your side.
Call the Cohen Defense Group now at (530) 823-7700 in Auburn or (916) 596-2700 in Roseville or fill out our contact form to request a free consultation with an experienced drug attorney. We are here to help.