A good DUI lawyer can keep you out of jail, help you keep your driver’s license, and minimize the consequences of a DUI conviction.
Call our Auburn office at (530) 823-7700, our Roseville office at (916) 596-2700,or fill out our contact form for a free consultation with one of our experienced DUI lawyers and learn more about how we can help you.
The Cohen Defense Group is the largest criminal defense firm in Placer County, California. We serve clients from Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, Newcastle, Penryn, Loomis, Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City, Yuba City, Sacramento and more.
When facing the consequences of a DUI charge, you want the best DUI defense lawyer you can find. What makes the best DUI defense lawyer? Training and experience.
What You Can Expect from Us
When you hire the Cohen Defense Group you get access to a team of DUI lawyers:
- David Cohen, our founding partner with 25 years of experience in DUI defense, is a member of the California DUI Lawyers and the National College for DUI Defense, both of which provide ongoing, specialized training in DUI defense.
- Mr. Cohen individually trains every DUI defense attorney in the firm on the science of beating DUIs, ensuring that you get the most thorough and aggressive defense possible.
- Our DUI attorneys stay on the cutting edge of the law by regularly attending intensive, multi-day training in areas like scientific evidence and cross-examining law enforcement so that they are ready to fully litigate your case and get you the best result.
- Our DUI attorneys are well-versed in DUI defenses, such as:
- the police had no reason to stop you
- you were not driving
- your blood alcohol content was not above the legal limit when you drove
- the test results were inaccurate, and more
- Our DUI lawyers are proficient at defending your right to drive at DMV hearings and will do everything they can to help you keep your driver’s license.
The DMV Will Suspend Your Driver’s License for DWI
If you are arrested for driving while intoxicated, or DWI, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will suspend your driver’s license.
- This administrative process is not related to the criminal proceedings but can cost you your ability to drive.
- You only have TEN DAYS after the arrest to fight that suspension so that you can keep driving.
- Our DWI lawyers can fight that suspension.
How Our DWI Attorneys Will Help Fight Your Driver’s License Suspension
- Demand an administrative hearing so that you can fight the suspension.
- Demand a stay of the suspension so that you can keep driving while the hearing is pending.
- Obtain the evidence the DMV will rely on so that you are prepared for the hearing.
- Represent you at the hearing and fight to retain your driver’s license.
DUI Frequently Asked Questions
DUI charges are complicated, even for first-time offenders. When charged with a DUI, you face consequences in the criminal justice system and at the Department of Motor Vehicles. You could be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony. Your defense is likely to involve complex scientific evidence.
At the Cohen Defense Group, it is important to us that you understand everything about your case and know what to expect. We make it a priority to communicate with you and make sure your questions are answered. We are here to help.
What is a DUI?
You can be arrested for driving under the influence if you are driving and you are:
21+ and have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08% or more
Under the influence of any drug
Under the influence of any alcohol and drug
Under 21 and have a BAC of 0.01% or more
Driving for a rideshare app and have a BAC of 0.04% or more
What happens if I am convicted of a DUI?
Below are potential consequences you may face if charged with a DUI. Many of these can be avoided with the help of an experienced DUI lawyer. The Cohen Defense Group will help minimize these consequences by fighting for your license at a DMV hearing, fighting for a dismissal at trial, negotiating with the District Attorney for fewer penalties, and more.
Fines and fees
Installation of interlock ignition device (IID)
Mandatory alcohol education classes
Mandatory SR-22 insurance
Suspension of driver’s license
DUI on your driving record for ten years
Difficulty getting insured
Insurance can cost hundreds more per month with a DUI on your record
If you kill someone while driving under the influence, a DUI can be charged as murder
Are DUIs misdemeanors or felonies?
A DUI can be charged as a misdemeanor or as a felony. A misdemeanor charge is less serious than a felony. A misdemeanor conviction carries a lower level of probation supervision. A felony conviction can result in a state prison sentence, which means you could serve time “behind bars” for drunk driving.
Most DUIs are misdemeanors, but a DUI can be charged as a felony if:
You seriously injure and/or kill someone
You have more than three DUIs
You have a previous felony DUI
How much does a DUI lawyer cost?
Attorney fees can vary for DUI cases based on the seriousness of the charges. At the Cohen Defense Group we charge a flat fee so that you know what your expenses will be before you hire us. At your free consultation, we will outline our fees so that you have a clear idea of the cost from the beginning.
A DUI attorney can help you avoid a felony conviction. Call us now at (530) 823-7700 in Auburn or (916) 596-2700 in Roseville or fill out our contact form to request a free consultation with an experienced DUI lawyer. We are here to help.
- How Much Does a DUI Lawyer Cost in CA?
- Know Your Rights If You Are Pulled Over for a DUI
- Can You Refuse a Breathalyzer After Being Arrested for DUI?
- Why a Failed Field Sobriety Test Might Not Mean a DUI
- When a Blood Alcohol Level of .10 After Driving Is Not a DUI