Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I was just arrested, what should I do?

If you have just been arrested for any criminal charge, you should immediately contact a criminal defense attorney to schedule a consultation.  Do not talk with anyone about your case or arrest.  Call our office for a free consultation today.

I was just cited for criminal activity and given a promise to appear and/or I just received a criminal summons in the mail, what should I do?

A criminal citation or criminal summons by mail with a promise to appear in court at a particular date and time indicates that law enforcement has or will be forwarding their reports and recommendation to the District Attorney to file criminal charges against you.

A criminal charge can lead to a criminal conviction on your record which can have potentially harmful consequences.  It is important to know your rights and options before, during and after criminal proceedings.  If you can, you should consult an attorney prior to your arraignment date (the first court date in a criminal proceeding).  Do not talk with anyone about your case or your arrest, unless you are consulting a criminal defense attorney.  Call our office at 530-823-7700 or 916-596-2700 or contact us for a free consultation today.

I have an outstanding warrant for my arrest, what should I do?

A warrant is a directive to law enforcement to take a person into custody.  You can surrender yourself on the warrant, wait to be arrested, or contact an attorney.  An attorney may ask a judge to recall the warrant, or may file a motion to have a warrant recalled.

Someone has threatened to call the police on me, what should I do?

If you have criminal exposure, whether you agree or not with the person threatening to call the police, call an attorney for advice.  What you tell the attorney is confidential.  What you tell the police is not and you may be arrested.

I was just contacted by a police investigator, what should I do?

Decline to talk unless you have an attorney present if you are the subject of the interview.  If you are a witness, simply tell the truth.  If you are not sure why the investigator wants to talk with you, talk with an attorney first.  The investigator can wait. Read about juvenile questioning here.

I was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, what should I do?

You have 10 days from the date of your arrest to contact the DMV to request a hearing and request a stay of the suspension of your driver’s license pending the hearing.  If you fail to request the hearing and stay, your driver’s license will be suspended 30 days from the date of arrest for four months.  Our office is very familiar with DMV rules, procedures and hearings. Learn more about our DUI lawyers.

My significant other and I were in a fight, the police came, and I think I might be charged with domestic violence, what should I do?

Domestic violence cases are complicated because of the personal nature of the relationships.  Our office has procedures to protect the individual’s rights from the common misunderstandings of these cases. Learn more about our domestic violence lawyers and how a lawyer can help you defend a domestic violence charge.

I want my past conviction expunged; what can I do?

Our office routinely files motions on behalf of clients to clear their records and have their probation terminated.  These motions when properly filed, served and supported, when granted, can make a significant difference in a person’s life. Read more about record sealing here.

How much does it cost to hire an attorney at the Cohen Defense Group?

Generally, we charge a flat fee depending on the case.  An attorney charging by the hour can run up a large, unexpected bill.  We do not want money to become the issue in your case. Read in detail about DUI defense costs here.